Thursday, September 22, 2011

Adventures in cooking, cont.

Ok, I’m considering changing the title and theme of my blog to “Adventures in cooking whatever the hell you want for yourself in your apartment kitchen” – too long?

I feel like this is what I am compelled to write about these days – and I could probably post almost every day. And it might be more interesting to a wider range of people than my usual random musings about life as a 20-something searching for something of substance in her life. (Enter U2 lyrics here – “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for…”)

Yesterday I could have posted something about how I wasn’t very excited about cooking pasta with zucchini and tomato sauce until I walked away as the sauce simmered and realized that it had perfumed my entire apartment with basil and garlic. I also learned from this experiment that you should avoid cooking things that require long-simmering during midday in a small space. This leads to a sweaty mess. But alas, class is at night, so cooking comes in the day.

Today, for lunch: orange rosemary scone with cherry jam and habanero cheddar slices – yum! (This is the cook-whatever-you-want portion of the show – I know that some people would not appreciate this meal.)

These scones though, even if you don’t like scones, have the most heavenly, sweet, rosemary-y scent to them. They are fresh and comforting, biscuit-like, and don’t require cutting butter into flour. They did need a pinch more salt in the batter however, thus the cheese slices to accommodate for this misstep. I left out the pistachios the recipe called for since I didn’t have any, but I think dried cranberries might be nice come November.

So, the down side of this story: I now have enough pasta for at least a week’s worth of lunches and enough scones for breakfast for 2 weeks –eek, I’m running out of reasons to cook! Then what am I going to do with my spare time? I suppose I need to start learning to cook smaller portions of food. And I feel like the scones will freeze well.

If you feel like dropping by for dinner sometime soon, I feel like making risotto…

No comments:

Post a Comment