Sunday, September 11, 2011

Garlic Bread

There’s not much in this world that is better than a piece of toasted, buttered crusty bread rubbed with garlic. There was a salad with dinner tonight, a pretty good salad - with various vegetables, cheese, pepitas and an onion-lemon vinaigrette - but the garlic bread outshined it. Garlic bread pretty much outshines most things I can think of right at this moment, with the taste of it still on my tongue.

Where am I going with this? Nowhere in particular. Appreciating the simple things? Sure, let’s go with that.

Today has been the first full day I’ve spent in my new apartment. My new apartment that has no oven, but is inside the Perimeter, which makes the fact of no oven a bearable one. (Appreciating the simple things #2.) I have a “counter top stove” (aka – toaster oven) which apparently can bake and roast and broil as well as a full-grown stove can, according to Eric Ripert and other online sources. Plus, I have access to a gas grill in the backyard.

I of course have plans to experiment with baking via these alternate methods, but not today. Today, after a day of unpacking and decorating with my mother (bless her heart, she gets frustrated with me and I with her), today was no day for experimenting. Classic green salad and toasted ciabatta with garlic. Yes, please. Simple. Perfect.

There’s not much in this world that is better than garlic bread . . . except maybe this great cheap red wine I am drinking with it. (Appreciating the simple things #3.)

No comments:

Post a Comment