Monday, August 24, 2009

Pressure

I performed an experiment last night. I hung upside down off the side of my bed. This is something that, as a child, I was able to do for hours. Somewhere along the way I suppose I realized that the only thing this activity accomplished was the development of a headache. So, being a usually logical person, I have ceased doing this. Why I thought of doing it last night? I just wanted to remember what the sensation was like.

In the first seconds that your head is upside down, it seems that all the blood in your body has culminated in your eye sockets. It’s harder to breathe, but this may have occurred with the advent of breasts, which would have been absent 15 years ago when I did this on a regular basis. Or it could be that blood is pooled around your sinuses, inducing instant cold-like symptoms. But after those first few seconds, it’s not so bad really. In fact, unless you move, the only real sensation that persists is a subtle heat in your cheeks. Not so bad, but not especially thrilling either. When I sat up though, which I did in one swift motion, like I remember doing as a child, it was as if I had been cured magically from this pressure I had become accustomed to.

Take from this what you like. I think that we are more adaptable than we think, but still it's nice to have some relief from time to time. Anyone have any magical cures for life up their sleeves? Friends? A good drink? Chocolate? Yes, I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment