Friday, August 7, 2009

Sticky

I’m a wanderer; I don't hesitate to admit that fact. In fact at this very moment I would love to be on a plane to who-knows-where to do something unbelievable. There are not many things that I wouldn’t want to try at least once or any place I wouldn’t venture to for a day, or more. I’ve had I don’t know how many jobs over the past few years and lived in twice as many cities. Some people call this adventurous, some call it flippant. I’m not sure what I consider it, but the main point is I don’t tend to stick to one particular thing or one particular place for very long.

With that being said, I started a new job this week. And with it, my multiple personality disorder began to flare up again – Overwhelmed has taken over most of the week, but Contented and Uncertainty have also taken strong roles throughout the course of deciphering my new position. And of course, Logic is constantly weighing the advantages and disadvantages of every part of this job and has concluded that it is ultimately a tossup; thus she has relinquished all decision making powers to Instinct who is utterly underdeveloped and therefore inept to operate on her own. Meanwhile, Logic has simultaneously been encouraging Action to focus on the tasks at hand rather than hop over to the Congo to see what’s going on over there.

Focus, that’s what I’m reminding myself to do. But it seems that my go-with-the-flow mentality gets the best of me, and my dreams of the wide world of possible lives makes me want so many things that require so much planning and more dreaming! Focus seems impossible. This is typically the point in which I make a list. What exactly is the priority, really?

The advantage of being pulled in six different directions is that it keeps me in one place for a second until one thought eventually conquers the others. At the moment, Logic, Future Plans, and Perseverance are succeeding to convince Instinct that this, here and now, is where I should be . . . or at least that it’s ok for this instant, which appeals to Contented. So it would seem that I am going to be sticking . . . for the moment – however, Action tends to be the strongest of all, so we’ll see what she decides.

No comments:

Post a Comment