Saturday, May 12, 2012

Black and White Pie


A dark chocolate and white chocolate cream pie. 


Ok, so it turned out as more of a Brown and Yellow Pie.  If I were my mother serving this at a party, I would whip up some cream, color half of it black, and dress the whole pie with this tuxedo-ed cream.

However, it’s just me that will be enjoying this pie, one slice at a time, and I am content with Brown and Yellow Pie accented with white freshly whipped cream.


I confess I prefer the Brown bits of the pie.  I’m not a fan of white chocolate, actually, and rarely work with it.  White chocolate may not technically be chocolate anyway.  Alton Brown says it’s not.  When in food-doubt, I always go with Alton Brown.  It’s really only sugared fat . . . wait, why don’t I like it?

If I were to make a white chocolate cream pie again, though, I would increase the amount of white chocolate and decrease the amount of sugar that I used.  White chocolate is less powerfully flavored than dark chocolate (maybe, as an addict, this is why I prefer the dark) and the vanilla overpowers it in this filling. 
Can I add, my graham cracker crust skills are improving?  The trick is, as in most culinary ventures, not to skimp on the butter.  Never skimp on the butter, y’all.

Ok, I need to take a walk now.  (Because I don’t skimp on the butter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment