Saturday, May 26, 2012

A favorite pie for a favorite person


I found the tonic that cures all blues: deeply breathing in a sugar and spice mixture while listening to Harry Belafonte’s “Jump in the Line.”  Just try to do that without smiling, I dare you!  

Like all great discoveries (i.e. penicillin and chocolate chip cookies), I discovered this cure-for-sadness accidentally.  At the exact moment that I was mixing sugar, cinnamon, ginger, clove and nutmeg, Pandora played some Belafonte for me.  This is instant happiness.  The intoxicating smell of pumpkin pie baking in the (toaster) oven, though, could be an antidepressant in its own right.  

This discovery is only more appropriate since I was making the pie (my favorite variety) for one of my favorite people, one who also brings a smile to my face without fail. Happy early birthday, my friend, I will deliver it tomorrow!










Because it’s delicious and what my mom always made at Thanksgiving and doesn’t stray far from Martha Stewart’s recipe, I use the recipe on the back of the pumpkin can, and add nutmeg, ‘cause it’s my fave.  This recipe makes two pies, always has and always will – I don’t know why they don’t admit that in the recipe – which is a bonus at Thanksgiving (and today, since it allowed me to taste and photograph and share with yet another favorite person!).

I also used a store bought pie crust for this pie, because my teensy apartment countertop doesn’t lend itself to the fraisage – the technique that ensures a perfectly flaky pate brisee.  (Oh Julia, how I adore you!)

I know its Memorial Day weekend and most people are probably making fruit pies in honor of seasonality and American-ness.  But Thanksgiving and pumpkin are as American as apple pi… urgh… as baseball, right?  Besides, the last pumpkin pie I made met an early demise; I needed a redo.

Happy remembering! 

No comments:

Post a Comment