Friday, August 5, 2011

Quilting

Someone asked me last weekend what my “dream job” is. (This is what I get for being in grad school.) I guess I once had a “dream job,” but alas, I have now abandoned such ideas.

I realized today that, of late, I’ve been living my life at about five months at a time. I suppose I aspire to live one day at a time, but that would require freeing myself further than I seem to be able to do. But five months at a time fits nicely with the academic calendar. Five months at a time seems to be just about the right amount of time to create an experience. I am working these five-month periods of time into something that resembles forward motion. Five months at a time I am piecing together a life.

I feel that these pieces of my life have been colorful and textured and many. Sewing them piece by piece, eventually, I assume, it will turn into a whole product – a beautiful, cozy, comforting thing that I will appreciate and cherish. This quilted life works itself as it will; and I shall hopefully find a way to blend the less desirable pieces among the more brilliant so that it is delightfully appealing.

Now to just pull together this immediate piece – what will the fall look like? The fall hopefully will be something in an orange-y yellow. January will then deal with itself in a pale blue. I suppose come May I will have to choose larger swatches of cloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment