Friday, December 2, 2011

A blessing and a curse

There are so many things in this world that you can be elated/thankful/can’t-live-without-happy-about one moment and find frustrating/hurtful/pull-your-hair-out-angry-about the next. This applies to some of the most important things in our lives: the people who love us the most, education, children, computers, wine.

Any of these things can make life easier, give us purpose, the strength to keep going, the answers we seek. Or they can send us straight to the insane asylum, mumbling and shouting and feeling anxious and overwhelmed.

Case in point: my computer got a virus this week. Correction, it got two viruses this week, two days in a row. A week where on top of normal goings on I had a project due and exams to study for. Computers are obviously a blessing, but when they don’t work right they can ruin your whole day – they make things more complicated, they make you want to cry or be sick – kind of like your loved ones, school, or wine. (This original post, by the way, was scrawled on a scrap piece of paper while I awaited my computer repairs.)

Also, getting a virus when your computer is covered by antivirus software feels like being the girl who gets pregnant while on birth control. And to that point, tech support people should really learn better bedside manner - with less condescension and judgment.

Listen, don’t tell me not to worry. I don’t understand how this could happen. I have priorities and things to do; this is not the right time for this to be happening. I am not in the financial or emotional place in my life to cope with this situation. I know I should have backed up, I know that, but I didn’t ok and I’m afraid that I’m going to lose everything. And I’m not in a committed, long term relationship, so there is no one here to help me in this time of need. I can be worried if I want to – it’s my life, it’s my body, er, I mean computer.

Anyway, the computer’s working again – back to studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment