Thursday, December 8, 2011

Little Drummer Girl

If you catch me at a stop light and a good song happens to be on the radio, you will likely discover my talent for air drumming. Yes, air drumming. I’m not a big air guitar person; I prefer the drums. I’ve always imagined that if I were in a rock band, I would be the drummer.

This is mainly because the drummer sits in the back. And everyone probably realizes that I prefer this position to being the lead singer. I don’t need or want the attention. People don’t need to know my name. I am totally cool with being “that one chick” in that really awesome band.

And that is the crux of my penchant for the drums. But it goes a little further than that. I think that I’m better at the drum function of things. The drummer sets the tempo, provides stability, and adds a little heart – maybe not in the oozy, cheesy way the guitar or piano do, but in a soulful sort of way it adds its version of heart. I feel like the drummer lays down the plan for the song – gives it support where it needs it and emphasizes the really great parts. Do you also need a melody, some lyrics, and someone who can sing? Sure, but the drums are important too.

Related: The Art of Simple Drumming. I didn’t read the whole thing (music’s really not my thing), but I like the titles of the tips.

Secret 1: Tempo

Secret 2: Confidence

Secret 3: Dynamic Finesse

Secret 4: Go Easy on Yourself!

Secret 5: Listen to the Best!

I’m going to embrace this drummer thing, I think.

(I also have an unrequited fantasy of dating a drummer. I feel like the drummer has all the attractiveness of a musician, but is less likely to be as emo-crazy as the other boys in the band. But this is just my gut feeling.)

And for the holidays:

I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum

That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,

On my drum? . . .

I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,

I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum

Me and my drum.

No comments:

Post a Comment