Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Re-thinking the Golden Rule, etc.

(A note for Dad - yes, this post is long winded, you may skip it if you'd like.)

I was standing in the shower last night – it was one of those days when I couldn’t remember if I’d rinsed out the conditioner or not – and I had a brilliant thought. Actually, no, I‘m totally making that up. Wouldn’t it be nice if you were the kind of person who had brilliant thoughts in the midst of fatigue?

I am certainly the kind of person who sometimes can’t remember if she rinsed the conditioner, who forgets to look in the mirror before leaving the house on occasion, or who tries to remember if she put on deodorant from time to time (I almost always remember that I did, almost always). But any thoughtful thoughts that I have (rarely-if-ever brilliant) stem from much too purposeful and lengthy contemplation.

I did have a thought yesterday. It came as I was thinking about (drum roll) the future. I decided that I need to become less judgmental of myself. This thought isn’t that earth shattering, you say? There’s more. I need to be less judgmental of myself, not only because this will free me to be who I will become and accept whoever that may be, but also because I believe it will allow me to accept (and love) others more often/better/more deeply. Consider these notions:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self.

Love your neighbor as yourself.

One should seek for others the happiness one desires for himself.

All of these principles, from a range of traditions, presume this: that you are content with yourself, want what is best for yourself, and desire happiness for yourself. Then, understanding these things for yourself, you can apply such good will, service, and compassion towards others. Accepting yourself (loving yourself) is not selfish; it’s necessary, especially if you desire to, or simply as a leader/teacher/mother/aunt/friend/person-other-people-see, will influence others. Love yourself, and then you will know how to love others.

This is the goal: Understand that this is me. Here I am. Acceptance. Release judgment. Whoa.

And since I am adding this as my 10th goal for the year, I will share with you my new favorite blog (except for yours, of course) – To Do List. There are other crazy list-ers out there! I am not alone.

(Welcome to my therapy session, y’all. If you want to keep me accountable to this, I’d very much appreciate it.)


Pretty little thing, sometimes you gotta look up
Let the world see all the beauty that you’re made of
‘Cause the way you hang your head nobody can tell
You’re my Virginia bluebell
¬-Miranda Lambert

No comments:

Post a Comment