Friday, June 1, 2012

The Great (water tower) Debate

“GWINNETT IS GREAT,” declared a longstanding (now demolished) water tower that overlooked I-85 at the edge of the county.

“Decatur, where it’s greater,” responded every resident of the nearby Dekalb county city.

In the debate of the greatness of Atlanta suburbs, I’m afraid I am a betrayer.

Decatur stole my heart.  You can call me Juliet. That would make my little Decatur apartment my Romeo.  But as that story had a tragic end, I will also bid adieu to my Decatur life today.
In reverence to the greatness of Decatur, here are some images and experiences that I adore:

Sometimes when I take a walk in my neighborhood, I feel a bit like Snow White or Cinderella or another Disney creation who commands woodland creatures by her mere presence . . . minus the fancy dresses and beautiful singing voices.  Birds and squirrels and chipmunks abound.  Not to mention the rooster and coyote.  How I moved closer to the city and found more wildlife is a mystery.  It’s as if they found a way to build a city amidst a forest. 
There’s the Dekalb Farmers Market.  It’s wonderful.  No more needs to be said about that.  (..my heart quivers..)

Easy access to MARTA makes me smile more than it would the average Atlantan.  But I have crazy, wild dreams of an efficient public transit system for Atlanta.  Just imagine, a commute that is free of sitting at a complete stop on the interstate for minutes (or hours) on end.  MARTA is hope of that dream, even if it is disappointing at times. 
Rosemary and honeysuckle are my favorite scents in all the world.  Rosemary and honeysuckle grow in abundance in the yards of Decatur residents.  On those walks where I am summoning the birds and squirrels, I also stop to smell the herbs and vines (and roses and hyacinth and magnolia).
















People watching on the Decatur Square rivals that of any other place.  Variety and uniqueness are what make it so great.
Decatur is full of people who care (and who garden).  I think this is highly correlated with the shorter commute – it leaves more time and energy to commit to things like encouraging neighbors to drive slower than the posted speed limit in residential areas, for example.



Decatur is such a great little slice of America. 

Also, there’s some shopping and some eating and some festivals in Decatur that are pretty cool.  But everybody knows that, right?

Thus with a kiss . . . I will miss you Decatur.  Perhaps I will one day return.

No comments:

Post a Comment