Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Eleanor Rigby

Until I was 20 years old, I thought that the lyrics to The Beatles’ Eleanor Rigby were, “Look at all the lovely people.” In August 2005, I had just spent the summer in Connecticut working as a camp counselor with about 15 British people and had become accustomed to the accents. When I got back to the South and was driving around in my car, sweltering in the late summer heat, I remember realizing, “Oh!, lonely people,” when I heard the song on the radio.

Yes, I realize that “lonely” is more understandable in context. But since when did Beatles’ lyrics make sense? Eleanor Rigby falls between Yellow Submarine and Penny Lane on the number one hits CD; these songs were clearly devised under the influence of opiates. And I am the Walrus, really? And even sensible songs don’t make that much sense – 8 days a week, Love me do? What does “love me do” mean? Come on.

“All the lovely people.” I thought The Beatles were making some sort of statement about people who seem to go about their lives without other people noticing – they are actually lovely, maybe we should take notice.

But no, I was wrong. The Beatles were just pointing out the fact of these people’s loneliness. Poor Eleanor and Father McKenzie.

Speaking of The Beatles, I’ve had this song stuck in my head for weeks now.


No comments:

Post a Comment