Sunday, June 19, 2011

5/26/11 Bad Signs

Today was our first full day of lectures . . . by full day I mean we were meant to leave at 10:30am for the school. We met at 10:15am and left maybe around 11:00. We met our guest lecturer probably at 11:30 and had a discussion. Lunch was at 12:45. Lunch, as they do in Tanzania, lasted for almost two hours. We returned to the school for a short presentation and a panel. We arrived back at Juba at 5:00.

Notes on the lecture:

- While the topic is interesting, I have learned very little new information today.

- The panel of skin bleachers did not seem very open to us, kind of understandably.

- I did feel my being white today; as if I wasn’t allowed to really have an opinion on the topic.

- Some people ask very culturally insensitive questions . . . I don’t handle ignorance – and especially not overconfident ignorance – well.

I wrote my second reflection paper this evening. (I reflected on gender roles - who is surprised by that??) Unfortunately I’m also reflecting on the fact that I made a list of 1) things I need to do before I leave; 2) gifts left to buy; 3) things I need to do when I get home . . . I am falling back into my familiar behaviors. Oh no. Too much structure, even on Tanzanian time, is kicking me into “to do” mode.

Side note - As a group, we have grown to know each other on that intimate level where it is ok to ask those questions that few people can ask one another. I think this grew mainly from Arusha. On top of Karen and Michellee being legitimately ill, others of us were experiencing various stomach upsets and colds and head pains simply from traveling. And since we all share meals and OTC medications and rooms with little sound proofing, we got to know each other very well. To the point, morning greetings go a little like this: "Hey, good morning. How are you? Oh, how are your sinuses/is your stomach settled/did you ever poop yesterday?" Depending on the response, more details are shared and medications dispensed. We are very close now. When you can ask about stomach regularity, there is little else that cannot be known. I think it's a rule.

P.S. I got a couple of good pictures of some of the PSAs I mentioned before. Dr. Lewis says they are aimed at children and are meant to portray good Tanzanian values. My interpretation of them:

- Choose education over love – though it might mean lust, these two things often get confused. Or maybe the point is – don’t marry too early, or have sex too early? Especially women.

- Don’t be fooled by the advances of older men, including teachers. Apparently statutory rape is a problem?

- Get tested. Or doctors are helpful when you are sick. I don’t know.

- Don’t be a peeping tom.

- No lusting.

- Religions are separate. (Probably actually the message is religious tolerance.)

- Old people should watch for traffic lights.

- Listen (or respect) old men.

Overall, these are very confusing. Maybe the Swahili captions are clarifying, and understanding the cultural significance more fully. But from a pictorial standpoint, definitely confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment