Friday, June 24, 2011

5/31/11-6/1/11 Coming Home

5/31/11 Departing/returning

Final breakfast. Packed. Waiting for final discussion group and lunch before we head to the airport this evening. (Discussion group is supposed to begin at 11:00 – I guess it will begin by 11:30. Lunch will probably end around 4:00. Flight at 11:00pm)

. . . I was right. We got back just at 4:00. In an attempt to combat jet lag I took a nap so that I might stay awake on our first flight. Ready now, or as ready as possible, to go.

Driving through the city today, I took in as many sights as possible – the PSAs, the street children begging, the peddlers, the barber shops. Lunch was at a hotel on the ocean. We began sitting in the shade under the sky but just before rain poured down we moved under shelter. The view of the clear waters and the waves crashing against the cliff was picturesque. hmm . . . b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l.

Side note: our discussion today reviewed the program overall and Dr. Lewis asked for suggestions for improvement. Others indicated that a service project should be implemented. I don’t agree. I think such a short term project would be useless. It would only be a self-serving exercise – to let us feel good about ourselves. I think this would satisfy our initial desire to want to help. But then, once we were satisfied would we want to continue to work towards ongoing change? I doubt it. No, I think a trip of this capacity should serve to expose us to the realities that people face, educate us about issues, and motivate us to take true action (or at least raise awareness). I do think keeping connected as a group and to Tanzanian issues is important on return, though. I also think that we should spend a little more time with locals personally rather than simply observing, somehow.

Boarding the plane (at 11:15), the locusts no longer bid us farewell, the heat is no longer hot, the humidity tempered. Winter is beginning to set in, has I suppose, in the three weeks since our arrival. “Qwa heri.” Goodbye Tanzania. Back at Juba adieus lasted too long, of course. Now, flying over Dar, I wonder, “Where did all those lights come from?” It is not so bright on the ground; it is not so bright really, here. Looking over the man sitting in my coveted window seat, the lights twinkle like stars on the ground – expansive as space and ever so delicately.

Onward to Amsterdam. Plan – stay awake this flight and sleep the next. Must. Combat. Jetlag.

6/1/11 Onward

Phew, because our flight was delayed leaving Dar we were forced to run across the Amsterdam airport to catch our connecting flight. Dr. Lewis and others were surprised by my speed and determination – “She’s so quiet and calm, who knew?” I can pull out a New York walk when I need to – fast, weaving, and taking no prisoners. (I remember Ashley was surprised by my walking skills in NYC this fall too, and she’s known me for over 13 years.)

P.S. I achieved my goal of staying awake on the last flight minus 10-20 minutes, maybe. There were glitches in the plan though. The movies and music on the plane were very limited and not working properly. (Also not on demand and often not in the language chosen, but I made it work.)

Next stop Detroit for a 3-hour layover. Sleep calls me as soon as I see this takeoff from my window seat

Through customs (not so bad in Detroit). I don’t feel like I am back in the U.S. I remind myself that I no longer need my passport for the remainder of this trip. Slowly images of the U.S. sink in – fast food, Mexican food, overweight people, cell phones everywhere. On the plane, America sets in further – we will be leaving on time, we no longer have the luxury of international flight entertainment, and there are babies crying.

Home sweet home.

After arrival in Atlanta, we exchange our final discussions of intestinal regularity and how we feel about being home. We grab our baggage and our loved ones and part ways. See you soon!

Time to readjust.

Salad and ice cream for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment