Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tanzania: Departure and Arrival


The next 3 weeks or so are extractions from my Tanzania journal.. you'll find some recurring themes - dangers of driving, role of women (I really do try to supress my feminism), children, need for patience!, and contrasts of lifestyles. I think it's mostly observations with my opinion thrown in from time to time - excuse my occasional rants.

I wouldn't say that this trip was life changing or even eye opening, really, but it was a reaffirmation for me in a lot of ways. I hope I can capture what it was to me in these posts, though I don't know that I will. I hope you'll at least be able to appreciate the Tanzanian culture and life through my eyes, if nothing else.



5/10/11 Departure
Arrived at airport: 1:45pm
Group began to arrive: 2:10pm
Group assembled: 2:35pm

Shelli is sick – side effects from malaria prophylaxis
Discussions arise: what did you bring? is your bag overweight?
Consensus: we are ready.

I am pretty proud of my packing abilities – 36 lbs. I feel like I still brought too many clothes, but no matter. (I just hope I didn’t forget anything critical.)

Thoughts of what is to come are fleeting, but nice. It is partially beyond my imagination. And at the same time, I don’t want to have too many expectations. I want to let the experience live itself.

The plane was to takeoff at 5:20pm. We boarded after 6:00pm. It is 6:25pm now and we have yet to have our safety lecture. This is preparation for becoming accustomed to the Tanzanian perception of time – so they say. Go with the flow. I am.

Also, window seat – great! A window seat feeds my “dreamer” soul. That is silly, but there is something about a bird’s eye view that appeals to me. From far away, even the most displeasing sights contain beauty – right?

Amsterdam for layover (not much of one, unfortunately).

Taxi: 6:30pm ETA: 9:00am (Amsterdam time). Goal: stay awake through dinner, then sleep through the night . . . lofty goals, I know.

I think about my brother-in-law whose ears pop painfully when he flies. To me, the feeling is exhilarating. The roar of the plane, the little flip of your stomach as you ascend into the sky, the view of the homes like dollhouses, the intersection of clouds and land out of your window, and finally sky for miles. It’s the picture of heaven from cartoons today – cotton ball clouds, blue blue, sunshine shimmering not-too-brightly. I think I was born to go, to fly. If the pain in my ears matched Eric’s maybe I wouldn’t love it so. But even this view is worth the mild pop as I swallow hard. And for those who fear flying, on a smooth takeoff it’s no worse than a kiddie rollercoaster ride. And the risks really are outweighed by the potential adventures. Surely.

Another plus, catching up on movies. (Remind Rae and Eric to watch “Life as We Know It.”) Jay Z’s greatest hits remind me of Lora – especially the hard knock kids.

“However long I stay, I will always love you…”

5/11/11 Arrival
Still traveling.
Flight from Amsterdam also delayed.
Departed 11:15am
ETA: 8:45pm (Dar es Salaam time)

Mental note: next trip to Europe, go to Amsterdam.
Even the industrial parts flying into the city were beautiful. Tulips in the airport were very quaint. And wind farms. Must go.

Throat is scratchy. Oh no. Very tired at this point.

We arrived in Dar es Salaam at 10:30pm. The locusts and humidity welcomed us at the airport. The light rain greeted us as we walked to the van. The mosquitoes nodded a hello as we prepare for bed.

Thankfully the hotel employees hauled our luggage to the 4th floor (American 5th floor). Asante sana! This hotel certainly allows us to know we are in Africa. Mosquito nets hang over the beds, sheets and walls are beige with "Juba Hotel" printed on them like prison uniforms, the shower runs nearly right over the toilet, no hot water. No luxuries here, only the necessities. Mom doesn’t need to know that my mosquito net has holes in it – I patched them with clothes pins – here’s to being resourceful. I will not miss a malaria med dose. I have my vaccines. Taking calculated risks is definitely worth the experience.

The thing that struck me tonight (the darkness does not permit too many revelations) is the vast amount of billboards and advertisements. And the dilapidated, unfinished structures.

The hotel staff is very friendly and well acquainted with my professor. “We want you to be comfortable. Be comfortable!”

Sleep now in preparation of a busy day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment