Sunday, June 26, 2011

6/4/11 Two Face . . . Batman?

(This is the last Tanzania related blog.. or at least it is the last one from my journal. From now the blogs will be from my current state of mind, in stead of from the past. It will likely be less frequent and less wordy - maybe then I can get Dad to read it, maybe not. Enjoy.)


How does ‘hakuna matata’ relate to this world I live in? I’m pretty sure that it is no longer appropriate to make that response when there seems to be more than minor complications. People want problems identified, solutions offered – I want these things.

But understanding that really, is this a problem, really? Understanding that usually life will go on anyway and that this problem will somehow be absolved or addressed whether you stress over it or not is a good philosophy to keep. Hakuna matata. It seems to be largely based in perspective.

And yet, I find myself wanting to do. I make my plans and my lists (so many freaking lists). I strive to be productive and goal oriented – this seems to be my nature.

But I long to be laid back and worry free. I think I occasionally achieve this.

I wonder . . . can ambition and freedom of mind coexist? I see the value of both and long to achieve some sort of balance. I think this is something I have often struggled with – this wanting to achieve and wanting to go where life leads. At this point in my life, my desire towards both is amplified. Surely, there is a way to balance dueling values.

In Tanzania, my fellow travelers nicknamed me “The Riddler” (thanks Shelli) because I tend to ask a lot of questions. I’m not a fan of this nickname. Searching for another, I might suggest “Two Face” as an alternative. Not because I feel as if I am two-faced, but because of my battle with balancing life philosophies. Balancing the experience lover in me (brought to the forefront by Tanzania) and my need to stay super productive is like juggling two identities, pulling out each as the circumstances fit . . .

Come to think of it, most superheroes have alter egos, right? Maybe then, I could be “Batman?” Maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment