Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pie to-go

This week's pie: triple stone fruit pie.  Your food lesson for this week: a stone fruit is any fruit that has a pit.  I used nectarines, plums, and apricots in this application.  (Side note: I had never tasted a fresh apricot before Thursday.  I like it - very tropical and sweet.) 

The consistency was lovely and the flavors were right - I added cinnamon and ginger (and nutmeg... I love nutmeg). However, I wasn't completely satisfied with this pie.  It was a little too tart for some palates due to the plums and the crust could have been prettier. 

But I do like a little tartness and my new go-to pie taster assured me that the tartness wouldn't even be noticeable with a scoop of ice cream on the side.  (And pie should always have the option of ice cream on the side, really.)  And I'll work on the crust.


I couldn't think of anyone in particular who would love this pie, so I packed up a few slices for my mom and her employees for lunch on Friday.

I sometimes find myself sounding like some of my favorite Food Network cooks when I think/talk about food.  Can't you just hear Ina Garten saying, "Pie for dessert at lunch on a Friday, who wouldn't like that?"


No comments:

Post a Comment